An advance directive is a document that makes your medical treatment preferences known. It names a decision maker in case you are unable to make your own medical decisions. The document enables people to express how they want to be treated should they become seriously ill and unable to speak for themselves. Haven Hospice has a guide called the Five Wishes. It helps you decide who you want to speak for you. It helps you plan in advance what kind of medical care you want. It speaks for you when you are unable to do so yourself.
The Five Wishes are:
1. Which person you want to make health care decisions for you when you can’t make them
2. The kind of medical treatment you want or don’t want
3. How comfortable you want to be
4. How you want people to treat you
5. What you want your loved ones to know
Five Wishes brochures are available in English or Spanish. Please call for a free copy.